Film ID:
YFA 1414

THE EAST RIDING

1959

Visitor Tabs

Description

In his film The East Riding, filmmaker A.R. Smith focuses on the industrial landscape of the Riding including the agriculture and fishing industries.  Also featured is the architecture in Beverley, Hull, and the villages in the surrounding area. 

Title:  ‘The East Riding’  ‘Filmed and edited by A R Smith’

The film opens with a map of the whole of the East Riding, and then specifically Beverley and the surrounding area.  In Beverley, the Cathedral and the North Bar can be seen.  Buses and cars are parked in the Market Square and town centre.  The commentary points out that Beverley is the administrative centre of the East Riding.  There is also footage of Church of St Mary’s, constituting a vicarage in 1269.

At the shipyards, wooden scaffolding and ladders surround a trawler which is under construction.  The commentary notes that the ships are towed to Hull for fitting out.  Beverley is then shown from the Westwood, and the commentary goes on to note its reputation for horse breeding, the commentary accompanying footage of the stables.  On the Westwood, horses are led across the grassland, and people make their way to the racecourse where a race takes place.  Buses are parked near the stand.

In the village of Bishop Burton, there is a duck pond where a small girl catches fish with a fishing net.  Then four miles to the north is South Dalton.  The village can be seen including the spire of St Mary’s Church and the nearby country lanes.  Then westward seven miles is the village of Warter.  Here there is a bridge over the river, the Church of St James, ornamental cottages, and the war memorial.  Sixteen miles to the north east is Burton Agnes where a family cycles past the duck pond.  The war memorial in this village is also shown, and the gatehouse of an Elizabethan house can be seen in the background.  On to Welton, twenty four miles south west, a woman passes by in front of St Mary’s Church while riding a horse.  The commentary speaks of stock farming, and this is accompanied by footage of sheep on the Wolds and cows and bulls grazing in fields nearer the towns.

The map then shows the East coast, pointing out the way to Bridlington.  Here the harbour is full of boats while the tide is in, and the beach is crowded with people.  Onto Flamborough Head, the lighthouse and coastline can be seen.  People are out walking along the coastline, and some sit on the grass.  A fishing boat is hauled in and moored on the steep, sandy bank along with a line of other boats.  Fishermen unload their catch of crabs in boxes onto a sledge which is hauled up by a rope.  A couple look over to the sea from on top of the cliff, and a helicopter passes by overhead as the top of the lighthouse fades from view. 

The map is shown again, and it is onto Holderness and its agricultural industry.  There are potatoes growing in fields, and the flowers and potatoes are shown in close up.  The potatoes are dug up by a machine which pulled by a tractor.  A woman bags the harvested potatoes.  In another field, peas are harvested and bagged up.  These too are shown in close up.

Back to the map showing the East Riding, and the commentary notes the thousands of acres of land which are used to grow corn.  Fields of barley, oats and wheat are shown in close up.  At the Skidby Windmill, the wheat field is harvested by a horse drawn harvester.  This is contrasted with a tractor pulled harvester and a Massie-Harris combined harvester at work.  Bales of straw can be seen in the field along with a hare which runs across.

In Hull, “the eastern gateway to Britain”, there is a sign for Kingston-upon-Hull and a large monument of a woman on a chariot flanked by lions.  Guildhall Road is shown from high up, followed by Queen Victoria monument with cars and pedestrians.  More city centre streets are featured including Hepworth’s and Hammond’s stores.  From high up there is a panoramic view of Hull’s industrial area including the River Hull.  The commentary lists all the types of industry which are prevalent in the area.  .

The parks of Hull are featured next showing the bandstand, flower beds, and lily pond at East Park.  The film then goes to St Andrew’s Dock where workers unload fish from a trawler.  The bobbers swing baskets of fish over the dock and unload them into kits.  Some of the fish are filleted and frozen.  A long line of full kits stand on the quayside.  A map shows some of the eleven docks.  At one of the docks there is a large ship, and many cars are waiting to be shipped.  The commentary lists the main products exported through the docks, and ships are loaded and unloaded with some of these exports including timber.  There are also foreign ships which have docked such as Naomi, Panama and the Baltic Arrow, which are surrounded by the massive cranes. 

Then it is onto Hull pier and the terminal for river steamers.  The ferry crosses the river, and the commentary mentions that a bill has recently been passed through Parliament which will begin construction the Humber Bridge.  Princes Dock has several small ships moored in it, including the Bell.  Near Queens House in Paragon Street and among the flower beds is a model of a future, single span Humber Bridge.  The site for the new bridge is shown on a map.

There is a brief scene of the River Hull near its source before returning to Beverley.  The film ends at Westwood with the Cathedral in the background.

The End