Film ID: YFA 965 VILLAGE HALL, POOL IN WHARFEDALE 1957 Visitor TabsDescription This is a fiilm showing a fund raising event for a new Village Memorial Hall on Arthington Lane in pool, and the work on its construction. The film begins with a crowd listening to a speech, followed by the first sod for the new building being dug. In the background is the cricket ground. Pool Village Memorial Hall on Arthington Lane is visible with Stephen Kaye's Joiners shop in the background. A target chart opposite the White Hart pub, on Stocks Hill, is updated every month to record the progress of the appeal for funds, the target is £13,000. A steam roller passes by. Mr Richie Bigland (insurance broker of Leeds and head of the fundraising committee), paints a new line on the chart assisted by a girl. Eric Cryer (organist of Pool parish church and who for his services to St. Wilfrid's Church in 1985, received The Royal Maundy from the Queen in Ripon Cathedral,), watches the proceedings with his hands in his pockets. There is a glimpse of the post office, petrol station, St. Wilfrid's Church, the War Memorial and the entrance to the Methodist chapel, all on Main Street . A War Memorial stone is laid (also in memory of Mr D.H.Whiteley|s grandfather, William L.), by his father, Holmes and uncle, William & the Rev. E. Southworth. The village stocks are opposite the White Hart pub and their renovation. Bricklayers are at work and the Hall at various stages of construction, including roofing and the arrival of roof spars. The film also contains a brief record of the visit of the British Paper Trade to the paper mill. Additional Notes This film is a chronicle of the building of Pool Village Memorial hall on part of the cricket ground, alongside Arthington Lane, in the main village , built to commemorate those who served in both world wars and William L. Whiteley who had given much to the village. The Hall was considered to have been so well designed by Chippendale & Edmondson, Bradford, that the Yorkshire Rural Community Council exhibited the drawings at the Great Yorkshire Show in 1955 and the National Council of Social Services at Reading, at that time believed to be the "largest and most modernly equipped Hall of its kind in the country". The assembly Hall built to seat 234 persons with maple floor for dancing, badminton or table tennis and a stage Mr D.H. Whiteley's uncle, William, followed by the father of Mr. D.H. Whiteley, Holmes, dig the first sod. There are speeches to a gathering of villagers. Dignitaries include Ronald Thackray of Bradford (the architect) & Colonel Sir Frank Brook, D.S.O., M.C., D.L. and H.M. Inspector of Constabulary, retired (past chief constable of the West Riding). The village worked very hard to reach this figure, holding whist drives, dances, balloon races, garden parties, stage presentations, raffles, sales of work, coffee mornings, and even "Men only" smoking evenings. The Whiteley family made contributions both personally and from the paper mill. The target chart has now moved to outside the Memorial Hall. The hall was opened by Marion, Countess of Harewood on 2nd August 1958.