Film ID: YFA 42 Video of YFA_42 T.M. BAIRSTOW'S MILL CENTENARY, SUTTON IN CRAVEN T.M. BAIRSTOW'S MILL CENTENARY, SUTTON IN CRAVEN 1938 Visitor TabsDescription This film documents some of the celebrations for the centenary year of T.&M. Bairstow's Mill in 1938. The film includes footage of the employees as well as a commemorative tablet made for this celebration. Title - T. & M. Bairstow, Ltd. Centenary Celebration July 8th 1938 1838-1938 The mill's centenary is held on expansive grounds near the factory. There is extensive footage of the employees gathered for the event. The crowds include a large amount of women workers, and there are also many young workers as well. Some of the employees wave to the camera as it goes past the crowd. On a small stage, members of the management team make speeches. Awards are also presented. There is a Union Jack hanging in the background, and it is later lifted to reveal a commemorative tablet on which is engraved, "This Tablet was erected by the employees of the T. & M. Bairstow Ltd. as a token of esteem and in commemoration of the Centenary of this firm July 1938." This reveal is followed by many speeches for which the crowd applauds. The film closes as the crowd disperses. Context Hundreds of weavers and spinners gaze into the camera as it pans across the workforce of a typical West Riding textile mill in Sutton in Craven. It’s on the eve of the Second World War, and the mainly female workers are remarkable for their almost identical sensible hairstyles, no doubt designed to accommodate their dangerous occupation. They are joined by grandparents and children, with the men staying farther afield, to witness the company bigwigs make fine speeches. The mill started out as a corn mill when it was acquired by the Bairstow family before being converted to worsted spinning and manufacture in 1838, building a new mill in 1888. Like many large firms of the period they had an Institute with a billiard room, a reading room and a large swimming pool. As their 1920 booklet has it: “in fact, everything is provided for the comfort and welfare of workers after their labour”. They even had a hostel to house fifty female employees, “girls”, from out of the area, which had tennis courts and organised classes and concerts. The original small village grew to become Sutton Mill, with the mill employing over 700 hundred staff. The mill closed in 1970 and was demolished in 1996.