Film ID:
NEFA 19760

SOUTH SANDYFORD PRIOR TO DEMOLITION

1964

Visitor Tabs

Description

A record of the the South Sandyford area of Newcastle around Lovaine Crescent, commissioned by Newcastle City Planning Department in 1964, prior to its demolition to make way for the central motorway and the buildings for the University of Northumbria.

The film consists mainly of shots of terraced housing, streets and back lanes, mostly unpeopled, with overhead shots showing rooftops. The Royal Airforce Association and Co-operative Wholesale Society Transport Department in Lovaine Crescent are visible, and other identifiable streets are Simpson Street and Bolton Terrace.

[Note: During the 1960s many parts of Newcastle were designated Comprehensive Development Areas (CDAs). T. Dan Smith, City Councillor 1950-1965, and William Burns, Chief Planning Officer, initiated a modernisation programme with widespread demolition of Victorian and Georgian parts of the city and construction of new urban motorways, parking facilities, commercial buildings and housing.]