Film ID:
YFA 3237



Visitor Tabs


The Foundation Stone of the Park Hill Redevelopment Scheme was laid on 25 April, 1958. The film shows the laying of that stone marking the beginning of the build for the Park Hill Flats in Sheffield.

A group of men and women disembark from a Sheffield Corporation double-deck bus on Duke Street. They walk through The Pavement shopping precinct and gather in an open area in front of the shops. A large building site can be seen behind.

Returning to Duke Street, the principal guests, including the Lord Mayor and Dame Evelyn Sharp, arrive by limousine. They make their way through the precinct and inspect the foundation stone before the ceremony begins.

There are speeches by the Lord Mayor and Alderman Smith before Dame Evelyn passes ceremonial trowels to Aldermen Gascoigne and Turner who perform the official cementing of the stone. At the same time, some local boys have to be removed from the wall behind the speakers.

The ceremony concludes with speeches by Aldermen Gascoigne and Turner, Dame Evelyn Sharp and two other councillors.


Alderman Charles W. Gascoigne and Alderman P. J. M. Turner were invited to perform the ceremony in recognition of their long service in connection with municipal housing. The Lord Mayor, Alderman A. Ballard presided at the ceremony with principal guests Alderman Albert Smith, Chairman of the Housing Committee, and Dame Evelyn Sharp, Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Housing and Local Government (see reports in The Star, 25 April 1958 and Sheffield Telegraph, 26 April 1958).