Film ID:
YFA 3389

RESTORATION APPEAL FOR BOLTON ABBEY STAINED GLASS WINDOWS

1970s

Visitor Tabs

Description

This film is an appeal for funds, documenting the restoration work made at Bolton Abbey in the 1970s.

The film starts by showing the removal for cleaning of the nineteenth century stained glass windows. A commentary explains that the Priory Church of St Cuthbert was established in 1154 by Lady Alice de Romille. The film then shows other parts that need restoration, with an interview with Jack Leaf who is in charge of stonework restoration. He explains how it has been affected over the years, with the iron dowels becoming rusty, and how they will be replaced by local stone. The roof is then shown being replaced with new lead, led by Peter Clark, who explains how the old lead work cracked to allow water in, attacking the woodwork. The pipes are replaced, using alternative materials to deter theft.

In the workshops of the York Glazier Trust, Peter Gibson explains how the windows are cleaned and restored. Then the film shows the new window mullions being put back in, using methods similar to those that would have been used originally. The commentary stressing that this is still a living Church, and a Passion Play us shown being performed in the Priory, preceded by a brass band.

Narrator: Peter Bruce