Film ID:
YFA 3541

OFFICIAL OPENING OF POND STREET BUS STATION

1956

Visitor Tabs

Description

The film shows part of the opening ceremony for Pond Street Bus Station, Sheffield and includes some general views of the bus station and surrounding area.

The film begins during the opening proceedings as a speech is being made. Other members of the official party are seated alongside the speaker. Some of the audience is shown and a view from behind the guests shows that the ceremony is taking place in the main concourse (Platforms A and B) of the bus station. Returning to the main party, two more people get up to speak as a bus passes by on the roadway behind. The guests then move, apparently to begin a tour, and some are eventually seen boarding a bus.

[Colour film]

The bus station is shown from a high vantage point across Pond Street. Looking towards River Lane and Sheaf Street, there are a number of buses in the bus station while others are leaving via Pond Hill. From a different angle the main buildings of the bus station can be seen and, as people hurry for their buses, Royal Mail vans are driving along Pond Street. There are further views towards Sheaf Street and people are then shown walking down Flat Street towards the bus station. As they cross the road into the bus station there is view along Pond Street, with Park Hill in the distance. A tram passes on its way to Flat Street and the film ends with more views of the bus station.

Background

The official opening of Pond Street Bus Station by the Lord Mayor of Sheffield, Alderman Robert Neill, took place on 2 August 1956. Also present were members of the Estates and Transport Committees.

The site in Pond Street was designated as a bus station in January 1940 but the war prevented any further development. Work on commenced in October 1955 and the main buildings were in use by 30 March 1956. Details of the project are given in the brochure produced for the official opening.

Provenance

Transferred to Sheffield Libraries from the City Council's Publicity Department in 1985