Film ID: YFA 3477 NORTH YORK MOORS RAILWAY NEWS COMPOSITE REEL NO. 2 1973-1975 Visitor TabsDescription This film contains a number of shorter films focusing on the re-opening of the North York Moors Railway and events relating to the NYMR. Title: 'North York Moors Railway News Second Composite Edition: 1973-1975', 'Produced by JK Snowden' Intertitle: 'Railway Reopens to Pickering' On Easter Sunday 1973, the line from Pickering reopens. The first train, a diesel on loan from British Rail, arrives at a temporary platform at High Mill. (Pickering Station had previously been closed subject to a dispute between NYMR and the local council). The train pulls out with driver Chris Cubitt. The new locomotive shed at Grosmont is shown still under construction. A train is standing at Grosmont Station with a dining car. A green loco pulls some carriages through the station, and the level crossing is opened and closed. The loco then backs onto the train standing on the platform before pulling out, destined for Goathland. Intertitle: 'The Royal Train (1st May 1973)' Her Royal Highness the Duchess of Kent and 300 guests arrive at Pickering Station on a train pulled by two steam engines. The Duchess, accompanied by the Marquis of Normandy, is greeted by local dignitaries and walks through the streets accompanied by Councillor Francis Welcome towards the 'The Black Swan' to unveil a plaque commemorating the opening of the Railway in 1836. The Duchess chats outside with other guests. Intertitle: 'Mayor's Rail Trip (1974)' Pickering Town Mayor Richard S. Robertson, along with Leon Britain M.P., Peter Cleveland and Railway Chairman Richard Rowntree, go on a train trip to Goathland. They are accompanied by members of the town council and their families. Richard Rowntree provides a running commentary pointing out some of the buildings on the way. From the drivers cab, and from a carriage window, the hills along the way and the river Esk are seen as they pass by. The train arrives at Levisham Station, and finds sheep on the line as it continues its trip. Intertitle: 'Station Future Decided' The station was listed as being of historic interest. The council appealed against this, but this appeal failed. Two steam engines sit side by side at Pickering Station. A line of carriages and a guards van stand at one of the platforms. At the time of this film, the Station was still not in use, so the train is forced to depart from the temporary station at High Mills. Intertitle: 'Refurbishing Locos' A steam loco (80135) is being cleaned and serviced by volunteers. Steve Ploughman, one of the volunteers, is doing repairs to an engine. The engines are owned by Ted Smith, an engineer and steam enthusiast. Intertitle: 'Station Back in Use' On 24th May 1975, Pickering Station came back into full use. The first regular train since the reopening leaves the station on the way to Grosmont. Intertitle: 'Special Steam Train' There are boats are anchored in Whitby harbour. On a hot summer's day, a steam special pulled by a green LNER loco (2005), is running from Whitby to Pickering to commemorate the first train to Grosmont Tunnel on the 8th June 1835. Richard Rowntree, Railway Trust Chairman, makes ready for the trip as families board the train. The train pulls out of Whitby Station, and the river is seen from the train. The Eric Treacey steam engine attaches at Grosmont to help with the steep gradients on the way to Pickering. The train passes Grosmont, and the three towers of Fylingdale Early Warning Station sit on the horizon. Intertitle: 'Veteran Morris Cars Visit' On the 30th August 1975, members of the Association of Morris Owners and their guests pay a visit to the NYMR. A long line of vintage Morris cars are on display in the station car park.