Film ID: YFA 1209 A LAMP FOR THE LORD 1970s Visitor TabsDescription Made by Des Monks, this is a film about the making of a new silver lamp for Skipton Parish Church. It includes a commentary by Peter Byrnes. The film opens with exterior and interior shots of Skipton parish church accompanied by background music and commentary. There is a close-up of silver-sanctuary lamp in the Lady Chapel. Next, silversmith Don Porritt is in his workshop close to Ilkley moor. He talks through the process of making the silver sanctuary lamp. Every step of the process is shown in detail. Scene change to the exterior of the Assay Office in Sheffield. All items of silver from the north of England are tested and hall-marked here according to strict government standards. Samples are taken from Don Porritt’s lamp, and the test process is documented. The Sheffield hallmark is struck on each component of the lamp. Back to the work-shop, the process of finishing the lamp is shown. It is polished etc. Back to Skipton Parish Church, and the lamp is shown in its alcove above the sacraments in the Lady Chapel.