Film ID:
NEFA 20563



Visitor Tabs


A Tyne Tees Television news report on the 400th anniversary of Guisborough Grammar School.

The film opens with Mr Bruce the headmaster of the school, coming through an archway of the Alfred Waterhouse designed building to be greeted by Phil McDonnell, reporter for Tyne Tees Television.

He begins by asking the headmaster about the school and the age of the buildings that make up the present school. Although it has been in existence for 400 years the current school buildings are of a mixed vintage. The headmaster points out the 19th century and the 1930's buildings and explains the latest addition was added the previous year (1960).

Mr Bruce says that the school is in possesion of the royal charter issued by Elizabeth the First dated 25th June 1561. He then goes on to explain that the school was originally a hospital and a school, with almshouses attached, until the 19th century. Guisborough Priory also had strong connections with the school, as Prior Pursglove the last Prior at Guisborough founded the school.

Phil McDonnel then asks Mr Bruce about the plans for the forthcoming 400th anniversary celebrations. He replies that the governors will present the school with a table made by the Thompson's of Kilburn (the Mouse Man). Dr Bosanquet, the vice chancellor of Durham University will hand over the deeds for a stone cottage in Swaledale which will be used as an outward bound centre. The headmaster goes on to say that old boys, parents and staff as well as pupils will all have an opportunity to take part in the celebrations. On the day of the anniversary, which is Sunday 25 June, there will be a special service of commemoration where the Bishop of Whitby is present.

Phil McDonnel thanks Mr Bruce for the interview, and hopes that, despite the boys not being allowed a day off because of GCE exams, that it won't detract from their enjoyment of the occasion.

There follows more footage, without sound or commentary which shows the Royal Charter, Guisborough Priory and school buildings.

Footage of the celebrations features the unveiling of a commemorative plaque. The film ends with more views of school buildings, includng the most recent 1960 addition.