Film ID: NEFA 13201 Video of NEFA 13201 Don't Forget DON'T FORGET 1976 Visitor TabsDescription Short sponsored film by Turners Film Productions about preserving the history of coal in the Washington area. The film contains a lot of footage inside the old colliery which is now part of the 'F' Pit Museum. The film is narrated by Geordie folk singer Alex Glasgow. A fire burns in an old black metal stove. The title sequence plays: Title: Don't Forget Title: Narrated by Alex Glasgow The film begins with a view over large green fields where crowds are gathered, and steam powered vehicles manoeuvre. Large tents litter the backdrop. Men, women and children are riding on the back of a small lorry which has 'Dobson Edinburgh' labelled on the side. They look towards the camera as the lorry passes by on the grass. People are watching the steam vehicles around the field. A father and child are by one of the steam engine's wheels. A group of children are tugging on a long rope attached to a steam engine, which they are slowly dragging across the grass field. Stationary steam engine; two men are standing by the controls. One of the engineers is speaking to someone. A statue of a colliery big wheel is in the foreground, with a housing estate in the background. Varying shots of old coal collieries in the Washington area. Coal miners are leaving a lift which has just arrived from the pits; they have black dirt on their faces and are wearing white helmets. Another set of coal miners leave a small building. General view of the pithead next to the colliery, with the housing encircling it, shot between the winding wheels for the lifts as they are turning. From the ground level, a small train pulls into a lower level of the winding house on tracks. The camera tilts up to show the steam winding gear inside the winding house. A park is situated nearby where two men are planting a tree with one fastening it to a wooden brace. View of the pithead from a distance with a grassy field in the foreground, the town in the background. Closing in to another shot of the pithead which has now been removed. General view of an old abandoned row of derelict housing with boaded-up windows. A red bus approaches on the corner and travels by. Young children hang around in the streets and backyards near their homes; a group of women walk by with bag of chips in hand. Inside the colliery winding house, the winding gear spins. Outside, the winding wheels draw cables from the depth of the mine. Inside the winding house there are different views of the winding engine and the different components that make up the engine. A winding engineer is seen adjusting a lever. Views of the equipment and mechanics at work. Title: For Washington Development Corporation [over view of a stove] Context Long before engine steam warmed the sang-froid of British lovers Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard in David Lean’s 1940s railway romance, Brief Encounter, steam enjoyed a golden age, powering the looms, the railways and ships, and the winding engines and pumps of the north-east’s coal mines. Steam even drove traveling showman Thomas Bradshaw’s new merry-go-round, which visited the 1863 Midsummer fair in Halifax and impelled a reporter from the Halifax Courier to describe a monster that “whirled around with such impetuosity, that the wonder is the daring riders are not shot off like cannon-ball, and driven half into the middle of next month.” Thomas Savery patented the first steam engine and described the machine as ‘The Miner’s Friend’ back in 1698, and George Stephenson’s steam Locomotion No. 1 hauled coal from the Durham coalfields to ships on the Tees, along with some very excited passengers. Don’t Forget celebrates the machines of a lost age of steam and mining and commemorates the opening of the Washington ‘F’ Pit as a museum in 1976, where once over 1500 miners had produced nearly half a million tons of coal in a year. The Engine House, headgear and steam-powered winding engine built by Grange Iron Company of Durham in 1888, the last surviving winding engine of that kind in situ and now preserved as a poignant monument to Washington’s mining heritage, carried miners 1,000 feet underground and coal back to the surface. They were gifted to the town by the National Coal Board after the pit was closed in 1968.