Film ID: YFA 1803 BENINGBROUGH HALL RESTORED 1979 Visitor TabsDescription This is a documentary on the restoration of the 18th century Beningbrough Hall. It shows the Hall and grounds before and after the restoration, and the opening ceremony. Title - The British Board of Film Censors gives the film a 'U' rating Review 32nd Year No. 12 Title - Beningbrough Hall Restored The film starts with view of the Hall, with the commentary stating that it is a National Trust property, and giving some history of the Hall. On May 22nd, 1979 more than 1,000 visitors have come to celebrate the re-opening of the Hall. Sir Hugh Casson, the President of the Royal Academy, makes a speech at the opening ceremony. Afterwards the Hall is opened for visitors. There is an exhibition on the history of the house and family in the old stables block. Restoration began in 1976, with the demolition of many outbuildings. The film shows the old laundry in a derelict state. Other parts of the Hall and grounds are also shown in their old state, with the commentary explaining their new functions. Floorboards have been taken up for re-wiring. The film goes through the house explaining all the changes that were made. The greenhouses made way for a restaurant and garden wall. The National Portrait Gallery brought their paintings there in 1978, and some of these are shown being hung on the walls. Builders work on the old stable block: on the brick work inside and outside, and re-tiling the roof. Cars pour in on opening day. There is an exhibition on the attic floor. The film shows the finished hall, going through the rooms. The old laundry has been restored to how it was. The film finishes showing the terrace and gardens.