Film ID: YFA 2016 Video of YFA_2016 Abbeydale Works ABBEYDALE WORKS 1963-1966 Visitor TabsDescription A film from the Ibberson family collection, this film shows the restoration of the Abbeydale Works in Sheffield. The restoration took place over a number of years, and the film includes footage of the rundown mill as well as the completed project. Title - Abbeydale Works. August 1963 The film begins with images of the old Abbeydale Works in poor condition. The mill is surrounded by water, and the buildings are all very rundown. There are internal shots of the abandoned mill and various pieces of industrial equipment including mill wheels, chains, and turning mechanisms. There are also more shots of the exterior or the mill buildings including roof beams and falling brick walls. Title - The grinding wheel roof collapsed during the winter. The roof has collapsed, and many of the broken beams are visible. Title - Response to the Appeal of May 1964 enabled restoration to begin. Scaffolding has been set in place. Title - There was great activity in the Spring of 1965 There are many workmen about, and they are working mainly on putting on a new roof. Three men guide a frame which is hanging from a crane. With the use of the crane, the new roof frame is hoisted into place. Title - Spring 1966 A group of businessmen including Billy Ibberson gather in spring 1966 to look at the progress. Although it has been identified as springtime, everything is covered in snow, and the businessmen are bundled up in winter coats. Title - Building restoration was completed in time for the "World Cup" visitors in July 1966 The film ends with exterior shots of the completed project. Context The nitty-gritty of the lengthy voluntary work of restoration is shown in this early example of the post war movement to preserve the nation’s industrial heritage. With the war out of the way, Sheffield helps to lead the way in the gathering movement for restoring historic industrial sites. Here work over several years, between 1963 and 1966, in time for World Cup visitors, transforms the early iron forging site at Abbeydale into a working museum. This film was made by Sheffield steel maker and one time Master Cutler Billy Ibberson, who was also an accomplished filmmaker. Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet ceased operating in 1934 and the 'Society for the Preservation of Old Sheffield Tools' – forerunner of the Sheffield Trades Historical Society – campaigned for it to be made into a museum. A previous gift to Sheffield Corporation by the J G Graves Trust helped when, after the war, along with the former owner Donald Tyzack, Ibberson helped organise the Chamber of Commerce to clear the site. They set up the Council for the Conservation of Sheffield Antiquities in 1954, and this worked towards the museum eventually being fully opened to the public in 1970.